Earn money with Cash Crate

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

All About Homophones E-book by Marie Rippel


Homeschoolers tend to collect books and educational aids that take up so much space. I have all subjects for every grade from 8th down to pre-k in my home because I cannot toss the items as I might need them as my children move up. That is one reason why I am so glad to see E-books really becoming available for homeschoolers to use. They are so easy to use. You simply download the files onto your computer where they can be stored, or you can store them on a CD, a flash drive, or use free online file storage sites. Then you retrieve the files to print and use as needed. No wasted shelf space; no wasted paper. Good for the environment and mom's sanity.

Today I will be reviewing a new E-book I received called All About Homophones, by Marie Rippel. All About Homophones is also available in regular printed book form. The cost for the paperback book edition is $29.95 and it's 250 pages long. Your cost for the e-book that I am reviewing will be $27.95. Its also convenient to buy e-books because you get immediate delivery of the ADOBE PDF file in your inbox...no waiting on the mailman to deliver your book! Just open your mail attachment, download it, and begin to study.

I really like this e-book and feel that the amount of information contained in it would make it very well worth the download. What you get are easy and fun worksheets, graphic organizers, word lists, games to print, and activities to teach homophones all the way from grade 1 through grade 8. Very economical. I think most of us homeschool moms enjoy a good bargain. I know I really appreciate items that can be used for all of my children for one low cost.

Ms. Rippel begins by teaching the parent what homophones are and then offers many suggestions on how to use the worksheets and other items she's created. She also tosses in more ideas to reinforce the child's learning such as teaching homophones with books, tongue twisters, puns, and more.

I would personally not use only the recommended grade level worksheets of this book for my children; instead I would go back to the 1st grade level and let them each work their way forward to their correct grade level, just to be sure they hadn't missed any homophones along the way. Then I'd add in the crosswords, puzzles, and games as needed for reinforcement.

An idea to save paper using this e-book might be to place each worksheet you print into a clear sleeve and do the work with a wipe-off marker. Then you can reuse the pages for each child. Unless you live in a place where you feel the need to save lots of completed sheets for record-keeping and proof of work.

I really like her use of card games as well. She explains in clear instruction how to play 6 different games using the printable cards she has included. Kids will love practicing their homophones using games like Pig, Snap!, Go Fish and more. The illustrations on the cards have an old-fashioned appeal and printing the cards on colored card stock would add to that appeal and make them durable. As I always go for making things last long enough to meet the needs of three kids, I would laminate them as well.

The worksheets have neat little trivia and facts at the bottom. I actually enjoyed reading them myself. I tell the kids they can't read the trivia until the sheet is complete and then cover it up.

I really do like this book. I can't see how any child could do the work in it and not become a "homophone expert". But I am not sure how many parents would buy a separate book for teaching homophones as most spelling or language programs cover them at some point. I know my curriculum already has a section on homophones built right into it. I would feel that unless a child just couldn't grasp the concept clearly using our current curriculum, that I might not need to purchase an additional curriculum for this one subject area.

However, if I were an English or language arts teacher or simply felt we needed more practice in this area, this book would be perfect for us.

Ms. Rippel is obviously very knowledgeable on the subject and using this book will certainly help your student.

Please take the time to read what other TOS crew members are saying, and then visit http://all-about-homophones.com/order.html to learn more.

-Lynn

No comments: