Earn money with Cash Crate

Friday, July 10, 2009

craft updates

Double Bubble Happy Skin Foaming Whipped Bath Butter

Sweetened, flavored lip balms make great party favors in many flavors kids and adults love

Popsicle-shaped glycerin soaps are fun



For all you Edward and Jacob fans, these lotions are my interpretation of each character's scent

Bottlecap jewelry is very popular with kids right now
I have held crafting classes in my home and at churches. I have attended camps where I was involved in crafts. I have always enjoyed working with crafts in our homeschooling and with our group. In VBS, I have become one of the craft station leaders. Does it sound like I like crafting a bit too much? This is me at TN TECH 4-H Line and Design Camp


A lady at a soap-making class I taught for an FCE club gave me an idea months ago when she suggested how well it would go over at children's parties if I came in and taught a one-hour crafts class. It would free mom up a bit. Take some pressure off the parents to entertain. Give the children a creative outlet while ensuring they each have a nice party favor to take home (how many of those tiny yo-yo's and bouncy balls end up in the bottom of the toy box after only minutes of bringing the goody bags home?).

I liked the idea a lot, rolled it around in my head for a bit, and then promptly forgot it. I was needing to bring in some additional cash flow and had been trying to find some children to keep. I have experience in that arena too, and figured it was a sure-fire job. All of my energy was invested into this, from rearranging the house to passing out flyers. I even had a schedule and handbook ready and conducted a few interviews. For months I've had nibbles but nothing solid. In hard economic times when many have lost jobs already, I am finding more and more that parents who once used daycare services are getting creative when it comes to their childcare options. I have noticed a few daycares who always stayed full suddenly have openings.


I became temporarily distressed. I had a few custom orders coming in from my Etsy stores but nothing huge. Then I went to 4-H camp where another teacher there pointed out that I was the "crafting party lady" to some of the children. I had forgotten all about doing parties! I so enjoy crafting, but even more so I enjoy teaching others to craft. I am no expert mind you, but my love and passion for my hobby spill over enthusiastically to others.With this in mind (and considering most of my life I have spent with children in some capacity), I am going to try this route as a side-line job. I could offer to come over to a local party and teach a craft from a list of kid-friendly possibilities for as little as $5 per child plus gas. I really think this would go over well, considering the crafts would be higher-quality than your typical camp or VBS type crafts.


Once I think on which activities would be best I'll post them here.I still have plans to do my weekly craft classes for ages 8-adult (see previous blog entries for list of potential classes). So watch for all this action soon!

-Lynn

http://www.sugarsweetbathshoppe.etsy.com/
http://www.whimsylanecreations.etsy.com/



4-H Line and Design Camp 2nd year
I had the priviledge of teaching at 4-H Line and Design camp again this year. Last year I taught about 60 girls how to make lip balms, soaps, and sugar scrubs (MESSY!).

This year the committee chose to have me teach bottlecap jewelry.


I had 4 classes with a total of 80 young ladies who all love crafting!

I couldn't have asked for a better group.
They were polite, attentive, and overall VERY creative.

It is a always a great experience for me.

Can't wait 'til next year.


-Lynn



No comments: